What is the Dual Language Immersion Program?
The Dual Language Immersion program provides an immersion model for English-speaking students and a bilingual model for Spanish-speaking students. The majority of instruction in Kindergarten is delivered in Spanish with the amount of English instruction increasing each year until instructional time is equal in both languages in fifth grade. The content of the curriculum is the same as English-only classrooms and meets all the state standards. The goal of the immersion program is to make students, whether they enter as English or Spanish speakers, fully biliterate by fifth grade. The program continues through 8th grade at BIS.
Where is the Dual Language Immersion Program?
The Dual Language Immersion Program is housed at McKinley Elementary School and BIS.
How do I enroll my child in the Dual Language Immersion Program?
- All students should enroll in their home school starting on February 1.
- Parents need to complete the Dual Language Immersion Application located on the District’s website (www.bsd.k12.ca.us) and submit the application to the District office at 1825 Trousdale Drive no later than Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 4:00 p.m.
How will students be selected?
- We will hold a lottery at the District Office on March 4, 2013 at 9:30 a.m.
- Half of the slots in the kindergarten program are reserved for native Spanish speakers. Bilingual students will have priority over English-only speaking students.
- Assessment of kindergarten applications for Spanish/Bilingual abilities will be conducted on March 1, 2013 by appointment at McKinley prior to the lottery.
- If selected in the lottery, families will have until March 14, 2013 to make the final decision if they will attend the Immersion Program OR will elect to attend their regular neighborhood Kindergarten class.
- For those families who are not selected, your child will be placed on a waiting list and notified by the end of May if a placement is available in the Immersion Program for the Fall 2013 school year.
Can I visit the program?
Yes. Please contact the principal of McKinley, Paula Valerio, at (650) 259-3870 about school tours.
For more information, please contact your elementary school secretary or visit the Burlingame School District website at www.bsd.k12.ca.us.